Find Bill
Find Your Legislator
Legislative Deadlines
RSS Feed Permanent URL -A +A

2012 Statute


23-3222. Change in child's residence; notice; effect; exceptions. (a) Except as provided in subsection (d), a parent entitled to legal custody or residency of or parenting time with a child under this article shall give written notice to the other parent not less than 30 days prior to: (1) Changing the residence of the child; or (2) removing the child from this state for a period of time exceeding 90 days. Such notice shall be sent by restricted mail, return receipt requested, to the last known address of the other parent.

(b) Failure to give notice as required by subsection (a) is an indirect civil contempt punishable as provided by law. In addition, the court may assess, against the parent required to give notice, reasonable attorney fees and any other expenses incurred by the other parent by reason of the failure to give notice.

(c) A change of the residence or the removal of a child as described in subsection (a) may be considered a material change of circumstances which justifies modification of a prior order of legal custody, residency, child support or parenting time. In determining any motion seeking a modification of a prior order based on change of residence or removal as described in (a), the court shall consider all factors the court deems appropriate including, but not limited to: (1) The effect of the move on the best interests of the child; (2) the effect of the move on any party having rights granted under this article; and (3) the increased cost the move will impose on any party seeking to exercise rights granted under this article.

(d) A parent entitled to the legal custody or residency of a child under this article shall not be required to give the notice required by this section to the other parent when the other parent has been convicted of any crime specified in article 34, 35 or 36 of chapter 21 of the Kansas Statutes Annotated, prior to their repeal, or K.S.A. 2012 Supp. 21-5401 through 21-5609, 21-6104, 21-6325, 21-6326, 21-6419, 21-6420 or 21-6421, and amendments thereto, in which the child is the victim of such crime.

History: L. 1984, ch. 213, § 1; L. 1996, ch. 188, § 5; L. 2000, ch. 171, § 21; L. 2011, ch. 26, § 44; L. 2011, ch. 91, § 25; L. 2012, ch. 162, § 53; May 31.