Find Bill
Find Your Legislator
Legislative Deadlines
RSS Feed Permanent URL -A +A

2012 Statute


8-1326.Same; duplicate identification cards. (a) If an identification card issued pursuant to this act is lost or destroyed, or if a new name is acquired, the person to whom the card was issued may obtain a duplicate card upon:

(1) Furnishing satisfactory proof of the loss, destruction or name change to the division, including an affidavit stating the circumstances of the loss, destruction or name change;

(2) payment of a fee of $4; and

(3) furnishing proof of the person's identity as provided in subsection (b). The drivers' license examiner also shall compare the applicant with the division's existing information and facial database.

(b) For the purposes of obtaining a duplicate identification card, proof of a person's identity shall include at least two of the following documents, one of which shall bear the person's signature:

(1) Military identification card;

(2) military dependent identification card;

(3) military discharge papers;

(4) military D.D. 214;

(5) an original or certified copy of a state-issued birth certificate;

(6) marriage license;

(7) medicare identification card;

(8) certified copy of court order specifying a change of name of the person;

(9) commercially produced school yearbook with photograph of the person, and the book is less than five years old;

(10) a United States passport;

(11) alien registration documents generated by the United States;

(12) expired or current driver's license or identification card issued by the Kansas division of vehicles or an expired or current driver's license or identification card of another state issued by similar authority, and for any document in this item 12 the document must bear a photograph of the person;

(13) student identification card bearing the photograph and date of birth of the person; or

(14) a copy of any federal or state income tax return bearing the signature of the person.

The division may waive the furnishing of one of the documents required by this subsection in the case of a person who is 65 or more years of age. When additional clarification is needed to adequately describe any of the above items, the division shall specify such clarification in making the requirement for such item.

(c) Any person who loses an identification card and who, after obtaining a duplicate, finds the original card shall immediately surrender the original card to the division.

History: L. 1973, ch. 31, § 3; L. 1983, ch. 32, § 3; L. 1984, ch. 36, § 2; L. 1990, ch. 42, § 5; L. 2007, ch. 160, § 12; July 1.