|Prev||Article 13. - WEEDS||Next|
2-1331. (a) When a county weed supervisor has knowledge that any land in the supervisor's county is infested, in any current year, with any noxious weed, the supervisor shall give notice, by publication of a general notice in the official county newspaper pursuant to subsection (b) or an official notice by mail, of such infestation to the person, association of persons, governmental agency, corporation or agent thereof, which owns the land. As used in this section, governmental agency means the state or any agency or political subdivision thereof or the government of the United States or any agency or instrumentality thereof. In the event the land is under the control or supervision of an operator or supervising agent, the notice shall also be mailed to the operator or supervising agent. Such notice shall contain the procedures described in the Kansas official methods and regulations for the control and eradication of any noxious weed found on the land and shall contain a specified time within which the owner, operator or supervising agent shall complete the required treatment for the control or eradication of any such noxious weed.
(b) On or before March 1 of each year, the secretary of agriculture shall notify in writing each county weed supervisor of a general notice of noxious weed infestation, as established by rules and regulations. On or before April 1 of each year, the county weed supervisor may publish in the official county newspaper the general notice of noxious weed infestation which shall remain in effect until March 31 of the following year. The cost of such publication shall be paid from the noxious weed eradication fund.
(c) If an inspection, by the county weed supervisor, made on or after the completion date stated in the official notice prescribed under subsection (a) or publication of the general notice under subsection (b), reveals satisfactory treatment progress has not been made, the county weed supervisor may send, by certified mail, to the owner and to the operator or supervising agent of the noxious weed infested land a legal notice as described in subsection (e).
(d) In the event the county weed supervisor determines that musk thistle plants which are found on land in the supervisor's county have reached a stage of maturity where weed control methods applied currently would not give satisfactory results, the supervisor may give legal notice requiring fall treatment to be performed in the current year.
(e) Legal notice given to the owner and to the operator or supervising agent of any noxious weed infested land shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
(1) A legal description of the noxious weed infested land;
(2) the name of the owner and operator or supervising agent of the noxious weed infested land, as shown by records of the county clerk;
(3) the approximate acreage of each noxious weed in the infestation or infestations involved;
(4) a copy of the Kansas official methods and regulations applicable for controlling each named noxious weed;
(5) a specified time, within which noxious weed control methods are required to be completed; such specified time shall not be less than five days after mailing of the notice;
(6) a statement that unless the owner, operator or supervising agent completes the required noxious weed control methods within the specified time, the county weed supervisor may enter or cause to be entered upon the noxious weed infested land as often as is necessary and use such approved methods as are best adapted for the eradication and control of noxious weeds on the particular area of land;
(7) a statement to inform the owner, operator or supervising agent that they may be prosecuted pursuant to K.S.A. 2-1323, and amendments thereto, and if convicted, fined as established by law.
(f) Prior to issuing any legal notice pursuant to subsection (c) or (d), the county weed supervisor shall notify the owner, operator or supervising agent by telephone call, personal contact or first class mail of the noxious weed infestation.
History: L. 1973, ch. 4, § 1; L. 1986, ch. 6, § 1; L. 1995, ch. 32, § 2; L. 2004, ch. 101, § 33; July 1.
|Prev||Article 13. - WEEDS||Next|